If you could not sign in to imessage or facetime, below is the solution/s provided for you to fix the possible issue/s.
Could not sign in to imessage or facetime. What to do?
Many a user reported about this issue that they are not able to log into the iMessage or FaceTime with their Apple IDs. On attempting, they are receiving the message provided below:
Could not sign in to iMessage or FaceTime. An error occurred during activation. Try again. An error occurred during authentication.
Number of reasons is possible for the users being not able to sign-in to iMessage or FaceTime, ranging from incorrect iMessage settings to the problem with the iMessage service.
In typical cases, users are receiving the error message could not sign in to imessage or facetime. In other case, however, they may receive the message reading Unable to contact iMessage server or An Error occurred during activation.
This is an important problem. It appears that only Mac users are affected by this. If you are the one with the same problem, try the below the different troubleshoot steps provided and see if these fixe your issue.
Methods to fix issues causing Unable to Sign-in to iMessage or FaceTime
Method1: Check Date & Time Settings
If you could not sign in to imessage or facetime, the first recommendation we would provide to resolve the issue is to make sure if your iPhone can automatically set its Date and Time. Here is how you check:
- Open Settings> General and click on Date & Time,
- On the Date & Time screen, disable the Set Automatically option so that your iPhone will then display the correct Date and Time in the Time Zone section,
- If find necessary, set the correct Time zone.
Method2: Check Send/ Receive option
iMessage sends and receives messages by making the use of the Apple ID. Thus, you should make ensure if your Apple ID is listed under the section, “You Can be Reached By iMessage At”:
- Go to the settings, click on Messages and scroll down to find Send & Receive option,
- Click on it and see if your Apple ID email address is listed under ‘You Can Be Reached By iMessage At’ section on the next screen appears.
Method3: Sign-in and Sign-out to iTunes and App Store
If could not sign in to imessage or facetime issue persists, and in case, you are signed-in to iTunes and App Store on your iPhone, sign-out of App Store and sign back-in again:
- Under Settings, find iTunes & App Store option and tap on it,
- Click on your Apple ID on the next screen appears,
- Click on Sign out option to the pop-up,
- After that, press and hold the power button until you see “Slide to Power Off” option,
- Turn it OFF by moving the slide to the right,
- Wait for the 60 second and then restart your iPhone.
- After the restart, sign-in to iMessage and FaceTime and see if the problem is gone.
Method4: Sign out of your Apple ID
Many a user got a fix for could not sign in to imessage or facetime just after signing out to their Apple ID and signing back again. It is possible that the iMessage is having problem with identifying the Apple ID. This problem goes away after you logout of your Apple ID on your Iphone and then log back in again:
- Click on the Apple ID on the settings page,
- Now, scroll down to find Sign out option and click on it,
- Turn off your iPhone by the method prescribed in the previous section,
- Wait for a while and then restart your device and sign back into using your Apple ID and password.
Method5: Reset Network Settings
This would resolve any problems related to Network Settings on iPhone. Here are the complete steps of doing this:
- Go to the Setting> General and scroll down and tab on Reset option,
- Click on Reset Network Settings option on the next screen appears,
- Restart your iPhone after the then and go the Settings>Wi-Fi and select your Wi-FI Network,
- Enter the password, if prompted so that your iPhone is connected to the Wi-FI,
- Then, try to sign-in to iMesage and FaceTIme on your iPhone.
Method6: Check for Software update
Make sure if your iPhone is updated with the latest iOS software version:
- Go to the Settings, click on General and select Software update option,
- Check for the available update and if available, click on the download option to install the update on your iPhone.
Method7: Switch to Google DNS
The DNS of your internet provider might be too crowded and busy and due to which you could not sign in to imessage or facetime. In this case, use Google’s free DNS service and see if this helps you in fixing the problem.
Method8: Contact for Apple Support
It could be the case that your Apple ID has been blocked and under this case, you would require initiating a support request with Apple.
We have provided you different troubleshoot steps for could not sign in to imessage or facetime issue. Hope that the above methods work in your case. If not, you can try to Factory Reset iPhone and setup your iPhone as a new device.