hile using your computer, there might be a situation come when you try to connect an external decice to your machine like USB drive, mobile phone, etc, and it fails with a message on screen “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning”. This issue is quite annoying as it blocks you against accessing your device. You might be wondering actually why such things happened on your mahcine.
Well, speaking fluently about the error message, it technically means that your computer actually failed to communicate with the device which you are trying to attach. In some conditions, there can be some compatibility issues, and more and needs proper maintenance. But, in some instances, the aforementioned error may also appear on screen when there’s no device connected, means, while opening a document or other files.
If you are experiencing “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning” issue on your Windows, then you should troublesome the problem, and this article will allow you to learn some possible measures through which the issue can be fixed.
Possible reasons why the error may occur
A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning issue may appear on screen due to many factors that includes:
- The external device might be turned off or not properly connected.
- Incompatible, corrupted or outdated driver of attached device.
- The USB port might be not working properly.
- Faulty USB cable.
- The application might be corrupted or damaged.
- The external device may be damaged.
- Some internal issues with operating system.
Methods to fix “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning”
In order to fix the issue in all above mentioned cases, here are the solutions you should follow:
Method 1: Fix OS issues using an automated tool
In case if the issue is occurring due to corrupted OS files or other related problems, you can easily fix those using an automated tool that will scan all sectors of your Windows and fix the issues without manual hassles. It saved the time and effort as well. We suggest you to try out with the application here.
Method 2: Reconnect the device to a different USB port
The “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning” may happen due to incorrect connection between thee USB storage and your computer. Means, the connector might not be properly connected to USB port, or the cable may be defective. You should try reconnecting your device to make it sure if the connector is inserted firmly in USB port. Also, you can try connecting to other USB ports if the previous one suspects to be faulty. In addition, try out to connect your device using other datacable, if being used for connectivity.
Method 3: Restart your computers
Many a times, restarting your computer can fix some temporary glitches on USB ports. And if this is the reason why you are facing off the issue on screen, then we suggest you trying this method. Do make sure to remove the affected device first, then restart your Windows system. Once rebooted, try connecting the device once again to check if the issue is solved.
Method 4: Scan and fix your system with system file checker and DISM
In order to accomplish this task, follow the steps here mentioned.
- Type Command Prompt in the search bar of Win 10.
- Click right on Command Prompt and choose Run as administrator.
- n the opened window, type sfc /scannow and hit Enter.
- The scanner will begin to scan for system file issues and fix it automatically. Let the process complete.
Once, the process is done, reboot your machine and check if the error is resolved. If not, you can try running DISM as well. For which the guidelines are here mentioned:
- Run Command Prompt as administrator as we discussed in the above section.
- Once the CMD window is open, type exe/online/cleanup-image/restorehealth and hit Enter.
- Once the process completes, reboot your machine.
Method 5: Update your device driver
Your installed device might be running with a corrupted, or outdated driver, and this is why you are able to see “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning” error on screen. To resolve this, you can try updating your drivers to the latest one. To update the drivers automatically, follow the steps below:
- Press Win + X key and select Windows PowerShell from the option.
- Type verifier in the screen and hit Enter. A message will be displayed which says, “The operation completed sucesssfully”, and the “Driver verifier Manager” will be initiated.
- Once launched, select “Create standard settings” and click on Next.
- Now, select the option “Automatically select all drivers installed on this computer” and hit Next.
- The Windows will now scan and search for errors in all your drivers . If detected, it will show you, and you need to update or fix the driver issues yourself. Just visit the manufacturer’s website of the device to download and install the latest driver.
If you want to save the hassles and time to fix the driver issues manually, you can also try an automated tool. We suggest you to download and run the following tool and it will scan and fix all driver related issues automatically.
Facing “A Device Attached To The System Is Not Functioning” issue on a Windows system is quite annoying as it disrupts you against accessing your device. Although there can be various reasons why you may end up to see the error, still it can be fixed with above discussed methods.