The “error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid” occurs when users try to delete a particular folder or its content. The error is also commonly observed while copying or moving the respective folder from one location to another.
The error0x80071129 always comes up with the following message:
An unhandled exception has occurred in a component in your application. If you click Continue, the application will ignore this error and attempt to continue.
The data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid [Exception from HRESULT: 0x80071128]
The first you should do in case you encounter the error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid is to check if the error is not caused by some system related issue.
In some cases, BSODs, Exes errors, DLLs errors, system files and registry errors, system infections, apps and programs conflict are the reason for such an issue for which there is an automatic tool with the named “PC Repair Tool” is available.
The tool will find and delete any system related issues that causing you this issue and you will require doing nothing for that- just download the software from the below link and scan the system using it, it will automatically find and fix the problematic.
If there is some other problematic area, you need to find it and then perform its redresses. We shorten this task for you by providing three possible solutions for error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid issue that are described below.
Fix error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid
If you are getting an error 0x80071129 while deleting a folder or its content inside, you should look for the following fixes:
- Run System File Checker
- Perform a DISM Scan
- Check hard drive using CHKDSK
Solution 1: Run System File Checker
If the error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid is a result of corruption of the folder that you want to delete, System File Checker will help you in finding and repairing it. Perform the required steps by following the below instructions on your PC:
- Click on Win+ S simultaneously and type CMD in the search bar,
- Select the matched result and hit Run as administrator,
- This will open Command prompt. Enter the following command in it
- The SFC will then search for issues and repairs them if it finds,
- After the process is complete, a message will be shown on the screen telling you about the issues that it detects and resolves,
- Type exit button and hit enter to come out of the window console,
- Then, restart the device and see if the error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid persists.
Solution 2: Perform a DISM Scan
If the previous method does not work, there may be a issue with the Windows Image itself. To find and fix the issues with Windows Image, you need to take the help of DISM. Here is how you can perform a DISM scan on Windows 10 (same in Windows 11 as well):
- Click on Win+ X and select Windows PowerShell (Admin),
- UAC windows appear, click Yes,
- Now, enter the following near the blinking cursor
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth
- This will begin the scanning process. DISM will look for missing or corrupted files,
- When scanning completes, you will see the damages DISM found. To repair them, run the below code
DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth
Note: You might need some advanced codes if there is heavy corruption in the Windows Image. Any offline image can be repaired from mounted image from the below repair source
Dism /Image:C:\offline /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows
If you have to repair an online image, run the code below:
Dism /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth /Source:c:\test\mount\windows
After when you finish up with the resolving the issue with Windows Image restart the device and see if error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid is gone.
Solution 3: Check hard drive corruption using CHKDSK
It is possible that bad sectors on the hard drive is causing error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid issue. To find and resolve it, you have to use the tool CHKDSK:
- Launch Command Prompt as administrator,
- In the elevated console, enter the below texts:
CHKDSK C: /f /r /x
- This command checks for if any volume is in use or not. On the root drive, you will get the below the message
Chkdsk cannot run because the volume is in use by another process. Would you like to schedule this volume to be checked the next time the system restarts? (Y/N).
- Go with Y using keyboard and then restart your device,
- The CHKDSK will resume its operation when you shut down the PC.
Note: With this, you will know if your hard drive requires a replacement or not.
We hope that the above solutions help you in solving error 0x80071129 the data present in the reparse point buffer is invalid. However, if you still run into this error after trying all the above solutions, please leave a comment! We will try to give you some other prominent solutions.