Did you stumbled upon the failed to add steam library folder while trying to install a game thru Steam client on default Steam Library or a new drive, if yes then luckily you are at the right place. In this particular tutorial will discuss about the same.
The popularity of Steam is increasing every hour. People on a large scale are using it. The increasing traffic on Steam has proved that it is the best.
But unluckily as I stated in the first para that in spite of being such popular and reliable, it throws some issues which are really irritating and one of those issues is failed to add steam library folder.
When does the error occur?
Generally Steam throws this error when user tries to install or update a new game and it has been also experienced that while uploading or downloading it inhibits with making a new Steam library.
What are the reasons to occur the error?
The reasons can differ from user to user. We have collected some of the potential causes that can end up with the issue.
The error can also be encountered when your antivirus blocks the system access to Steam folders.
A corrupted cache may also be an obstacle for you.
Read Only Steam directory
The Steam folder does not give adequate access to writing permissions, and it is arranged to be read only.
Hard Drive Error
When there is an issue with the hard drive, it might lead to this trouble.
All the potential causes have been discussed now will move to the fixes for the error.
Fixes for failed to add steam library folder
Fix 1: Restart your System
Restarting your PC can clear a lot of mess. It is always advised to reboot your PC if you are running it from long hours. Your system will get refresh on rebooting. Before scrolling down to the next fix, kindly restart your System. Follow the below mention steps to do so:
- Click on the Start menu> tap on the Power Button
- Then press on the Restart button and wait until your PC starts again
Fix 2: Pause the Download
When the Steam client is downloading anything like an update or new game in the background then might the running process in the background hinders with the new steam library and pop up the error. Hence pause the game downloading or update running on Steam client and they try to add the newest Steam library or installing the game.
Follow the below mention instructions to do so:
- In the first step, right-click on the empty space available under the Taskbar.
- Open Task Manager after that close all the running tasks by tapping on End Task or End processes.
Fix 3: Update your Driver
It is quite sure to face he error when one is using an outdated Driver. Simply you need to update the driver. There are two methods to update the driver one is manually and another is automatically.
Note: If you have technical expertise the only go for the Manual method otherwise the situation can get worse. We will advise the novice to go for the Automatic Driver Tool, it will fix all your issues and the most important it will not harm your data in any case. But if you are opting for the manual method then you can go to the Manufacturer’s Website and download the newest driver which is compatible with your System but the novices need to be beware as the situation can get worse if they choose the wrong driver.
Fix 4: Clear Steam Cache
Corrupted Cache can also make you suffer from failed to add steam library folder. In such scenario you need to clear the cache. You can follow the below mention steps to do so:
- First click on Steam>Settings>Downloads>
- Then navigate to the Steam Library Folders, right click on the folders>Repair Library Folder
Fix 5: Disable Your Antivirus Software
Antiviruses are considered to be a saviour from malwares/viruses. But unluckily these antivirus software turns to be an obstacle in your way as they causes conflicts. In order to tackle the issue kindly temporarily disable your Antivirus Software. Follow the below mention guidelines to do so:
- Firstly tap on the antivirus icon in Taskbar
- Select the option to Disable Antivirus
You can also connect to your antivirus support center and demand them for help or simply switch to another antivirus program.
Fix 6: Restart your Network Devices
You can also encounter the above error if there’s something wrong with your Network. So reboot your network Settings to resolve the issue.
- In the first step, shut down your PC, Modem and Router too
- Then release all the cables from the router and modem
- Wait for at least 2-4 minutes to uncharging
- After that again plug in the cables
- Finally restart the Modem and Router and see the changes
Fix 7: Use another Folder to Download Steam Games
Remember: Before you download anything kindly check your System Space. After checking your System’s space make a folder in any of your desired location and utilize that folder to download the problematic game. You can follow the below mention guide lines to do so:
- Ensure that the read-only-property is turned off
- Then Right-Click on Steam Client that is available under Start menu> click on Run as Administrator
- Go to the Steam menu from top of the client Windows and click on Settings from drop down menu>navigate to the download section from Settings Window and enable Steam library folder
- Select the folder that you have made because in future if you try to download or install a game then you will be queried to choose location before installing.
- Lastly uninstall the game on clicking the library section after that re-install from the library ad ensure that you select a new installation folder.
Fix 8: Add a library folder
If you are still looking for the solution then you can go for this method. In this we will suggest you to add a library folder.you can follow the below mention steps to do so:
- Click on Steam and tap on Settings menu placed at the top left corner of screen
- Under the Settings Window, click on Downloads>Steam Library Folders>Add Library Folder , follow the given guidelines
- Before going to the folder that you made earlier tap on it > click on the install button
Fix 9: Update your Windows OS
Last but not the least; you can simply update your Window in if you are still looking for the solution. Follow the below mention steps to do so:
- Tap on the Start button available in the bottom left corner and click on “Update”
- In the appeared list, tap on check for Windows Updates
- The above step will do the rest for you.
Final words on failed to add steam library folder
So this is all about failed to add steam library folder error. I have tried to enlist all the possible methods to fix the trouble and now it’s your turn to apply the methods one by one.
Note: If you are struggling with different errors and PC issues every new day and are you invest a lot of time in surfing the solutions for the errors then trust me you need a PC Repair Tool which will scan tour computer and fix your issues utterly.
At last, if you have any queries regarding the same, you can write us on our Facebook and twitter page. Thanks for Reading.