Imagine this scenario: You’ve been eagerly waiting for the release of a highly anticipated game on your PlayStation 5. The day has finally arrived, and you excitedly insert the disc or click on the digital download, only to be met with a frustrating error message: “PS5 Can’t Start the Game or App.” Your excitement turns to disappointment, and you wonder what could be causing this issue.
Fortunately, you’re not alone, and there are solutions to this problem. In this comprehensive guide, we will walk you through 8 steps to fix the “PS5 Can’t Start the Game or App” issue. We will delve into the possible reasons behind this problem, explore common error codes like CE-108255-1, CE-107857-8, and NW-102216-2, and provide detailed explanations for each troubleshooting step. Whether you’re facing this issue with a physical disc or a digital download, by the end of this article, you’ll have a clearer understanding of how to resolve it.
Possible Reasons for “PS5 Can’t Start the Game or App” Issue:
- Corrupted Data: One of the most common reasons for this problem is corrupted game data. This can happen due to various factors, including power outages or interrupted downloads.
- System Software Update: Sometimes, an outdated system software can cause compatibility issues with new games or apps.
- External Storage Problems: If you’re using an external hard drive, it may be experiencing issues, preventing your games from launching.
- Account Permissions: Issues with your PlayStation Network (PSN) account or permissions settings can hinder game launches.
- Network Connectivity: Poor internet connection or server problems can lead to this error, especially with online games.
Common Error Codes:
CE-108255-1: This error code typically indicates a problem with the game or app data. It may be corrupted or incomplete.
CE-107857-8: This error code often points to a problem with the external storage device. It could be disconnected or malfunctioning.
NW-102216-2: This error code suggests a network issue. It could be related to your internet connection or the PlayStation Network itself.
8 Steps to Fix “PS5 Can’t Start the Game or App” Issue:
- Check for System Software Updates: Ensure your PS5 is running the latest system software. Go to “Settings” > “System” > “System Software” to check for updates.
- Restart Your PS5: Sometimes, a simple restart can resolve minor issues. Power off your PS5 completely, then turn it back on.
- Rebuild Database: Boot your PS5 in Safe Mode by holding the power button for seven seconds. Select “Rebuild Database” to fix corrupted data.
- Check External Storage: If you’re using external storage, ensure it’s properly connected and functioning. Try running the game from the internal storage if possible.
- Check Account Permissions: Go to “Settings” > “Users and Accounts” > “Other” > “Console Sharing and Offline Play.” Make sure your account has the necessary permissions.
- Check Internet Connection: Test your internet connection in “Settings” > “Network” > “Test Internet Connection.” A stable connection is crucial for online games.
- Delete and Reinstall: If all else fails, delete the problematic game or app and reinstall it. Ensure your save data is backed up if needed.
- Contact Sony Support: If the issue persists, contact Sony PlayStation Support for further assistance. They may provide specific solutions for your situation.
Facing the “PS5 Can’t Start the Game or App” issue can be frustrating, but with patience and the right troubleshooting steps, you can get back to enjoying your games. Remember to stay updated with system software, maintain a stable internet connection, and regularly back up your data to prevent future issues.
- Can I fix this issue without losing my game progress?
- In most cases, yes. Before deleting a game, try other troubleshooting steps like rebuilding the database or checking external storage. Only delete and reinstall the game as a last resort.
- What should I do if I encounter a different error code?
- Look up the specific error code in the PlayStation Knowledge Center or forums for tailored solutions. Many error codes have unique troubleshooting steps.
Why does this issue occur with digital downloads and physical discs?
- The issue can occur with both because it’s often related to software, permissions, or storage problems, which can affect both digital and physical versions of games.