Re-routing the call output from earpiece speaker to our phone main speaker is a feature on our smartphone we often use however many iPhone users are reporting that their Speaker icon is greyed out while making call on iPhone and they are not being able to use the phone main speaker when on Call.
The issue was noticed on older as well as newer iteration of the iPhone including iPhone 7, iPhone 7 Plus, iPhone 11 Pro Max and others. It is suspected that the issue is caused by misconfigured iPhone settings, bugs or glitches within iOS, discrepancies created by Bluetooth accessories connected, outdated system software or problematic audio IC.
If you are not being able to access the speaker option and facing the same issue as other then don’t panic, we have mentioned all the possible solutions and workarounds to resolve the issue in the article below.
Resolve Speaker Issue in Call on iPhone
There is no way to tell which reason is triggering the issue on your device therefore you will have to follow all the solutions one by one and find the best for your case.
Solution 1: Reboot your iPhone
Before moving to more complex solutions we need to make sure that the issue is not caused by temporary bugs or glitches within the system. These bugs are command with any operating system and nothing major to worry about.
To get rid of these issues all you need to do is reboot your iPhone. Make sure that you have closed all the running and background applications before the reboot. Make a call and see if the problem was resolved. If it is not fixed then, move to the next solution.
Solution 2: Disable Silent and Do Not Disturb Mode
Your speaker icon might be accessible during a call because either silent or Do not Disturb mode is enabled on your device. These mode restrict all the notifications, ringtones as well as alerts when active and turn them off might fix the issue. These are the steps on how to do so:
- Look at the left side of your iPhone and move the silent mode switch to the other side.
- This will disable the silent mode feature on your phone.
- To deactivate Do not Disturb, open Settings app from your home screen.
- Scroll down and open Do not Disturb option.
- Tap on the toggle to disabled.
- Once done, see if the issue persisted.
Solutions 3: Reconnect Bluetooth Devices
Sometimes issue like this can be caused by discrepancies created by external connected Bluetooth devices on your iPhone. If this is the case then you can solve the problem by disconnecting the Bluetooth device and reconnect it again. These are the required instructions:
- Launch Settings application on your device.
- Open Bluetooth option.
- Now tap on the toggle to turn off Bluetooth.
- Once the connected device is disconnected, open Bluetooth option again turn the option ON.
- Reconnect your Bluetooth device to your iPhone and check for the issue.
Solution 4: Make Changes to Call Audio Routing Settings
If you use phone main speaker for your calls then you can automatically redirect the receive call on speaker without needing to switch. Call Audio Routing feature can be found in the settings application on your iPhone and these are the steps on how you can change the option:
- Open Settings app on your phone.
- Look for Accessibility option and open it.
- Move to Touch under Physical and Motor section.
- Tap on Call Audio Routing option and select Speaker option from the list.
- Now every time you receive a call, it will automatically switch to your phone main speaker.
Solution 5: Reset All Settings to Default
The reason for you to be facing issue like Speaker icon is greyed out while making call on iPhone can be misconfigured settings. You can reset all your phone settings back to their default to get rid of the issue. Follow these instructions on how to do so:
- Go to Settings app and open General
- Scroll down to the bottom and tap on Reset.
- Now select Reset All Settings
- If you use password on your iPhone then it will prompt you to enter the credentials.
- On confirmation popup, tap on Reset All Settings.
- All your settings will be reverted back to their default.
- Make a call and check if the problem persisted.
Solution 6: Check if Audio IC is Working Properly
Audio IC is a hardware component present in all smartphone and let the device use speaker playback. If the IC is broken or not working as intended then that the reason why you are facing this problem. You need to check if your Audio IC is working properly otherwise you will need to give your device for repair and get the IC fixed to resolve the issue.
- Open Voice Memos from home screen.
- Tap on Record button to record audio.
- If an error is prompted with Recording Failed. No audio devices found message then your Audio IC is broken and it require repairing.
- Check for your device warranty whether the period is over or not. It there is time left the visit your nearest Apple Care and get the phone repaired.
Facing issues like Speaker icon is greyed out while making call on iPhone can be very frustrating as you don’t know what the cause of the issue is. For this reason, we have listed all the possible solutions and their steps in the article above to resolve the issue without any hassle.