Internet or World Wide Web has been a very crucial part of our day to day lifestyle and to access it we need web browser in our device to navigate and browser internet the content of internet. Web browser is an application which responds to the user request for information and search the web for adequate results. Similarly websites are created and stored on server which these web browser access.
Every web browser has a definite amount of time that let the website establish a connection and display the result. When the website failed to do it on time or the sever did not respond the connection establishment then we face error message like “Connection has timed out”. There are multiple reasons for it to happen and if you are facing the connection has timed out issue while browsing Windows 11/10 then for that reason we have listed all the possible fixes and workarounds to resolve the issue in the article below.
How to Resolve Connection Has Timed Out Issue
As we already said that there are numerous reasons due to which this error code might appear and might differ from user to user basis. Therefore you have to try all the fixes one by one to see which work best for you.
Fix 1: Use Windows Troubleshooter
Windows operating system has built in troubleshooter to handle issues including internet connection. These are the steps on how to do so:
- Open Settings application,
- From left side menu, click on System.
- Scroll and find Troubleshoot option,
- Click on Other troubleshooter from the next tab.
- Now click on Run button beside Internet Connection.
- Follow the on-screen steps and complete the procedure.
- Check if the issue persists.
Fix 2: Modify LAN Preferences
Sometimes default settings create trouble while establishing connection and making changes to the settings can help you fix the error. Here is how to do it:
- Go to Search bar from Start menu.
- Type internet option and select the first option from best match.
- Switch to Connections tab.
- Now click on LAN settings.
- Uncheck the box beside Automatically Detect Settings.
- Check the Use Proxy Sever checkbox.
- To save the made changes, click on OK.
- Restart your computer system and check for the error.
Fix 3: Make Changes to Default Timeout Settings
Windows has a pre-defined server time out setting which could be a reason for the connection has timed out issue while browsing windows 11/10. You can change the value from registry editor by following these instructions:
- Open RUN prompt by pressing Win + R key simultaneously.
- Type regedit and press Enter.
- Move to the following directory path.
- Now on the right side of the screen, right click and choose New.
- Select DWORD (32-bit) Value.
- Rename it to RecieveTimeout.
- Change the value data to 36000 and select the base as Hexadecimal.
- Save the entry by clicking the OK
- Close the registry editor and restart your device.
- Check if the error code persists.
Fix 4: Edit Host File Value
You can manually change the host file value entries to get rid of the issue. To do so, follow these steps:
- Launch RUN dialogue box.
- Type \windows\system32\drivers\etc\ in the search bar and press OK.
- Find and right click on Host file.
- Select Open with option and choose Notepad.
- Scroll down and find lines with website links.
- Delete all such related entries.
- Save the changes by pressing Ctrl + S key at the same time.
- Restart your computer after that.
Fix 5: Flush DNS Configuration through Command Prompt
Some users reported that their issue was resolved once they Flush DNS Configuration. Follow the listed instruction on how to do so:
- Click on Start menu and go to Search bar.
- Type cmd and right click on Command Prompt.
- Select Run as administrator option.
- Type the following command lines one by one and press Enter key after each.
- ipconfig /flushdns
- ipconfig /registerdns
- ipconfig /release
- ipconfig /renew
- After the command lines are executed completely, type the following line.
- NETSH winsock reset catalog
- To apply the changes you need to restart the computer immediately.
Facing problems like the connection has timed out issue while browsing Windows 11/10 can sometimes be really frustrating so for that reason we have mentioned all the possible fixes and their instructions in the article above so you resolve the issue without any hassle.