Struggling with the requested operation requires elevation error? Stay tuned to get hassle free resolution.
First of all let’s find out what does this error means?
In simple words, this error message means that the user is not able to access the files / folders or launch a program from any external storage device. In other words this error occurs when we do not have required permissions to do that particular task. Some similar types of error are listed below:-Error 740 Windows 10, Powershell, Route add and Domain admin.
In the above mention paragraph we discover, what is the requested operation requires elevation error? Now moving forward, let’s conclude that why this error occurs?
The culprits may be different for various users. Let’s discuss all the possible culprits to reach the roots of the error.
- When user doesn’t have administrative privilege to do things
- Not having the appropriate permissions for files and folders
- Upgraded or migrated OS
Solvable and hassle free methods to resolve The requested operation requires elevation
Run the program as Administrator
While installing a program or trying to execute or copy a file from an external hard drive, please login using admin account or just follow the below mention steps :-
- Step 1: right click on the installer file
- Step 2: select Run as Administrator; remember it’s a temporary fix
- Step 3: For permanent, right click on the installer file
- Step 4: Go to the Properties
- Step 5: Tap on the compatibility Tab
- Step 6: Tap on Run this program as an Administrator
- Step 7: Press on Apply and then OK
- Step 8: Install or run the program without error
Making changes in account control (UAC)
A security mechanism that’s designed to inform the end-user that the operation which is about to perform will make changes that will require admin privileges. While installing new software or changing important system settings, the chances are quite high for this error to occur.
Point to remember: If you Disable or modify UAC component, then you will not receive a single notification whenever new software is installed, which might create further issues for you.
Follow below mention steps to make changes in the user account control settings, we are changing its default settings:-
- Step 1: Press start , type Run and tap Enter
- Step 2: In the appeared run box type Control Panel and press Enter
- Step 3: Then change the view to small icons , and go to Security and Maintenance
- Step 4: On the right, tap Change User Account Control Settings
- Step 5: Then drag the slider and bring it down to Never notify
Using Group Policy Editor
In some of the cases Changes in the group policy editor is also required, kindly follow the below mention steps carefully to do so:-
- Step 1: Press Start, type run and Enter
- Step 2: In the appeared run box type msc and Press Enter
- Step 3: Go to
Computer configuration >Windows settings >Security settings >Local Policies >Security Options
- Step 4: Double tap on User Account Control: behaviour of the elevation prompt for administrators in Admin Approval Mode
- Step 5: Then from the drop down menu select to Elevate Without Prompting
- Step 6: Press on apply and then OK
- Step 7: Finally, restart your computer
Taking Ownership of a File or Folder
Another way to deal with this problem is by taking ownership of a file or folder. Many users claim success after applying this method. To solve your issue simply follow the below mention steps:-
- Step 1: Right click on the file or folder which is raising the error
- Step 2: Go to the Properties and then Go to Security Tab
- Step 3: Press on Advanced Button
- Step 4 : On the top Beside Owner, Press on Change
- Step 5: Below tap on Advanced
- Step 6: Then press on Find Now
- Step 7: Then select the user you want to give ownership of the file
- Step 8: Press OK, again Press OK and Apply
- Step 9: Then click Edit to change the permission
- Step 10: Go to Add>Advanced>Find Now
- Step 11: Select the user, which you gave ownership of the file and Press OK
- Step 12: In permission Window choose the Username.
- Step 13: Press on Full control>Click Apply>Click OK
- Step 14: Finally ,you have full control on the file
Update your device drivers
It is highly suggested to update your device time to time. The user can either do it manually or automatically, update the driver at a regular interval of time to avoid suck kind of requested operation requires elevation error.
Done for this article, after all the suggested methods we expect you to resolve this frustrating error but if you are not technically expert and you have time constraints, then you can simply go for the automatic tool to avoid cumbersome process.