Drivers are a set of files that form the connection between the operating system and piece of hardware how to function and these are essential part for the proper working of Windows Operating System. Without proper driver you might not be able to see the display output or use the mouse and keyboard through USB port. All the hardware in your computer needs a driver whether it is internal or external.
Recently many users have faced issue regarding driver update in Windows 10 and one of them is this operation requires an interactive window station issue. Due to this error, users are not able to either install their drivers or update them through device manager and the reason behind it differ from user to user basis. However, there are certain fixes and solution that we have mentioned below which can help you resolve the issue.
How to Resolve Windows Driver Issue
From system files being corrupted to not having required permission there are various reasons for the issue and each can be resolved. These are the following fixes that can resolve this error:
Fix 1: Perform Clean Reboot
The most basic troubleshoot to any Windows issue is to perform a clean reboot. This will not only help you resolve your current issue but also get rid of temporary bugs and glitches which also could have been the reason behind the issue.
To perform clean reboot, close all your running and background services as well as disable all your startup programs. Now shut down your computer completely and let it sit idle for couple of minutes then reboot your computer again. Now execute the driver update and check for the error.
Fix 2: Grant Adequate Permissions
Often time driver update requires administrative privileges to install or update the driver and if they don’t have the permissions then this could have been the reason behind the issue. Follow these steps to grant Driver and Driver Store directories admin rights:
- Open RUN prompt by pressing Win + R key simultaniously.
- Type cmd and press Ctrl + Shift + Enter.
- This will open Command Prompt in elevated window.
- Now type the following command one by one and press Enter key after each command
- rem #was owner by trusted installer icalcs “C:\Windows\System32\drivers”/grant Administrator:(OI)(CI)F /T /Q /C
- rem #was owned by system icalcs “C:\Windows\System32\DriverStore” /grant Administrators:(OC)(CI)F /T /Q /C
- After the completion, close the window and restart your computer and check if the error persists.
Fix 3: Disable Windows Defender
There are some instances where Driver update was interrupted because it was mistaken as a malicious file by Windows security program. Therefore, this might have been the case for you as well so disable your Windows Defender or other anti-malware program and try updating again. To disable Windows Defender follow these steps:
- Click on Start icon and go to Search menu.
- Type Windows Security and choose the first option from the best match list.
- From left side menu, click on Virus and threat protection.
- Now choose Manage settings option.
- Under Real-Time Protection, click on toggle to turn it off.
- This will disable Windows Defender, now check if the issue persisted.
Fix 4: Run SFC and DISM
Command line tools also known as System File Checker (SFC) and DISM are used to look for problem in windows system files such as corrupted files and resolve them. These are built-in tool for every Windows Operating System copy and anyone can use this. To run the command line tool, follow these instructions:
- Launch Command Prompt with administrative rights. (For help, refer to above step)
- Type sfc /scannow and press Enter key.
- Let the scan finish and reboot your system to check for the issue.
- If the error persisted then open Command Prompt
- Now type DISM/Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth and press Enter.
- This might take some time, therefore wait till it completes and then restart your computer system.
SFC and DISM command line tool are not very effective in finding hidden issue and fixing them so for that reason we recommend you to use Advanced PC Repair Tool. This tool will scan your whole system thoroughly looking for issue like corrupted system files, missing DLLs or damaged registry entries and solve them using its high level algorithm and mechanized logical system.
Fix 5: Reinstall Driver
If you are not able to resolve the issue with previous fixes then you need to re-install your driver. Follow these mentioned instructions:
- Open RUN dialogue box by pressing Win + R key at the same time.
- Type devmgmt.msc and press OK.
- Now find the driver in question and right click on it.
- Choose uninstall driver option from the list.
- Click on Action menu from the top and select Scan for hardware changes.
- Follow the on-screen instructions and complete the process.
- Now reboot your computer to apply the changes made.
Device manager is quite complicated for inexperienced or new user and might not give you the best outcome therefore we suggest you to use Automatic Driver Update Tool. This tool will scan your whole system looking for incompatible or outdated driver and update them automatically.
Driver should be updated frequently because it prevents computer system from any issues and instabilities. While updating driver if you are facing this operation requires an interactive window station issue then don’t worry. These are all the possible fixes and their required instruction which will help you resolve the issue without any hassle.