Unity is a 3D game engine and development program that is used by million for more than a decade. Unity also has a web player that was used to play browser based games but somewhere in 2017 the company decided to stop support due to major web browser application removing NPAPI API from their platform.
Due to this users are not able to access those Unity browser based games however, there are still third party providers that let the users download the Unity web player with occasional bugs and glitches. Some users who downloaded them mentioned about Unity Web Player not working issue and this was caused for the same reason as well.
Before moving to methods and solutions on how to resolve this issue, there are still many users who don’t know how to download the Unity web player. If you are one of them then follow the listed steps.
How to Download and Install Unity Web Player
- Open web browser on your PC.
- Search for Unity web player.
- Go to the first link and open the webpage.
- Click the link and download the executable file.
- Move to the directory where you downloaded the file.
- Double click the exe file and follow the on-screen instructions.
- Complete the procedure and click the Finish button.
Resolve Unity Web Player Working Problem
After installing if you are facing issue regarding the web player not opening or performing as intended then follow these methods given in the article below.
Method 1: User VirtualBox to Install Over Version of Web Browser
VirtualBox allow user to create an independent operating system on the main which could be the very early iteration of the OS or the alpha test of the latest version. By using VirtualBox you can install an earlier version of both the OS and web browser that support the unity web player and these are the instructions on how to do so:
- Download VirtualBox from their official website.
- Install and open the application on your computer.
- Now download and install one of these browsers listed below in
- Chrome Version 45
- Opera Version 37
- Firefox Version 50
- Open a Unity Web Player supported game and check for the issue.
Method 2: Activate NPAPI Chrome Flag
In VirtualBox if you are still facing issue with Google Chrome web browser then you will need to enable the NPAPI flag in the browser settings. These are the required steps:
- In VirtualBox, open the older version of Google Chrome.
- Enter the following to the address bar.
- Now press Enter key.
- From the following window, find the option for NPAPI.
- Click on it and select Enable from drop down menu.
- Restart the web browser inside the VirtualBox and see if the problem persists.
Method 3: Use Firefox ESR
Firefox Extended Support Release (ESR) is the Firefox browser for mass development and is favoured by many developers. The app may support NPAPI API through which you can use Unity Web Player. These are the instruction on how to do so:
- Through you current web browser, navigate to Firefox ESR download website.
- Choose the following drop down options.
- Firefox Extended Support Release
- Windows 32-bit
- English (US) or as per your preference.
- Now click the Download Now button.
- From the downloaded directory, right click on the executable file.
- Select Run as Administrator from the list of options.
- Complete the installation procedure by following the install wizard.
- Reboot your computer system installation and check for the problem.
Method 4: Use Upgraded Version of the Game
If you are not comfortable doing these methods and workarounds to get the Unity web player or NPAPI API working then you can use the latest version of the game that supports WebGL. Most of the games are ported to support the latest build and they are free as well so it will be no issue to play the game. This is a better alternative that fixing the issue within Unity Web Player.
Unity Web Player had a lot of potential and it lived up to its name in the development field however if you are wondering if it will come back later the answer is most probably NO. If you still want to try its glory then you can do it through VirtualBox with issues like Unity Web Player not working. For this, we have listed all the possible methods and steps on how to fix in the article above.