VLC is a free to download open source media player made by VideoLAN project and is available on multiple platform including PC, Mac, Android, iOS, etc. It is also capable of handling most of the multimedia files and various streaming protocols. It gained hundreds of millions of active users due to its simple and user friendly interface with hotkeys that user can toggle to do certain actions. VLC is also very light weight therefore it can even run on very old hardware with ease.
Will all these pros there are not many cons to it. If faces errors due to it being open source occasionally however it gets fixed with the next update which it receives frequently. Recently some users have mentioned about VLC hotkeys not working issue. This issue could be happening due to many reasons which include keys not assigned properly or glitches within the media player.
If you are one of them who is facing the similar issue then for that reason we have listed all the possible fixes and method to resolve the issue in the article below
Fix 1: Restart VLC Media Player
Many issues are cause by bugs and glitches that are temporary and this could be one of them. To fix this all you need to do is restart your VLC media player. Restarting the program can get rid of them for most of time and if the issue persist then you can try restarting your computer system too by closing all the foreground and background applications.
Fix 2: Update VLC Media Player
Outdated applications are infamous for having troubles and with new update many bugs and issue are solved. So if you are using an older version of the program then update it by following these steps:
- Open VLC player on your device.
- Go to Help from top action bar.
- Now choose Check for update.
- VLC will now look for any updates that are pending and will prompt you if it is available.
- Click on YES after reading the description.
- Will till the update is downloaded then it will pop-up will install button.
- Install the update and check for the problem.
Fix 3: Check Hotkey Settings
As we said earlier that one of the reason why VLC shortcuts not working is because of improper implementation of hotkeys in VLC preferences. To fix follow these instructions:
- Launch VLC media player.
- From the top bar, click on Tools.
- Now choose Preferences.
- Under Show settings at the bottom of settings, click on
- Open Hotkeys section from the preference
- Now check each and every assigned hotkeys whether they are assigned as intended and if they are not then make changes to it so it execute as intended.
- After making the changes, click on
- Now close all the instances of VLC media player from task manager.
- Open VLC player again and check if problem persists.
Fix 4: Use Correct Keyboard Layout
One of the reasons for the error was due to incorrect keyboard layout and this was also reported by several users. Therefore if you happen to use multiple keyboard layout then choose the correct keyboard layout for VCL player by doing these steps:
- From your Windows taskbar, click on keyboard layout button. It will be labelled as ENG or Keyboard icon.
- If you are from United States then choose English (United States) US Keyboard.
- English (United States) US International and English (United States) US have different layout therefore you need to choose the correct once.
- After selecting the layout, restart the VLC player or open
- Check the changes made resolved the issue.
Fix 5: Uninstall and Reinstall VLC Media Player
If none of the fixes worked for you then the last resort left is to reinstall the media player. Follow these instructions to do so:
- Open RUN prompt by pressing Win + R key simultaneously.
- Type appwiz.cpl and press Enter.
- From the list of install program, find and click on VLC.
- Now choose Uninstall.
- Follow the on-screen instructions to completely remove the VLC player.
- After the uninstall process is finished open Web Browser on your computer.
- Go to VLC official website and download the application.
- Install the VLC player by following the setup steps.
VLC is a great option if you are looking for free and simple media player which doesn’t require much system requirement to work. Most of the time it is free from any issue but sometime some user faces problems like VLC hotkeys not working. If you happen to be one of them then you can resolve the issue by the fixes and their instructions we have provided in the article above.