Similar to Blue Screen of error Windows 10, people are reporting Windows 11 blue screen error. However, there is a difference that the Blue screen is going black. This is a big change. You can experience a black screen in the preview build by changing the registry setting. The rest being the same, however – you will see a sad face, displaying a message within an error code.
If you have experienced this issue recently and are here for the fix, this post is for you. In this post, we will help you in getting more information what causes the BSOD on Windows 11 and what are the ways through which you can address this death error.
Windows 11 BSOD; Blue goes to Black
Windows 11 is a brand new operating system from Microsoft. The company has made many changes to this new OS, including Start Menu, Taskbar, File Explorer and etc. Besides, Microsoft’s Blue Screen of Death now becomes Black Screen of Death. This has been reported by multiple resources.
This is not yet clear why there is a change of color of Windows 11 BSOD to black. If verge goes right, the company is tweaking other parts of Windows to let the OS more modern and thus the change in the background color is just an attempt to better match with the logon and shutdown screen in the new system.
What causes windows 11 BSODs?
The Windows 11 BSODs occur on your system under the following conditions:
- System files damaged or missing,
- Update components corrupted,
- Faulty or buggy app installation,
- Outdated or incompatible device drivers,
- Presence of viruses,
- Hardware issues.
As stated above, the current build of Windows 11 may not give you a black screen. If there is any issue occurs, you can still get a blue screen. But, you can get the black screen by changing the registry setting. Go to the HKLM\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\CrashControl and set the value data for DisplayPreReleseColor to 0, if you are in the Windows Insider Program and install the preview build 22000.
Fixes for Windows 11 BSODs
Since all you get a blue screen with a error message, you are in the position where you can’t get past the log-in screen. In this case, you would require booting the device in the Safe Mode first as then only you will be able to apply the below troubleshot methods.
#1. Remove the internal and external hardware
Your printers, USB, Mouse and keyboard and etc could be the problematic. So, before you go ahead, we recommend you remove all such peripheral devices from your PC and then restart the device. If the error occurs because of any of these devices, your computer will start working alright.
#2. Check your hard disk if corrupted
Prolong usage of any disk drive results in blocking of some of its sectors making it difficult for the use. You should check for the bad sectors on your hard drive and remove if there is found any. Here are the steps how you can check for possible corruption:
- Run Command Prompt as Administrator,
- Type the below command and hit enter,
chkdsk C: /f /r /x
- CHKDSK then asks you for launching itself when you restart the device,
- Confirm with pressing Y and hitting enter on the keyboard,
- Next to this, Reboot your device and you will the disk scanning starts afterward,
When the whole disk is scanned, you will get a report on the heath status of your root drive. This utility will fix any issue that is repairable. If there is some issue that it can’t repair, it would suggest you buy a new HDD.
#3. Inspect RAM
Windows 11 blue screen error could be simply because of malfunctioning of your computer. To ensure if this is the case or not, you require using memory diagnostic tool:
- Click Win + R simultaneously to open RUN dialog,
- Type mdsched.exe and hit Ok to launch Windows Memory Diagnostic,
- Select the option that says “Restart now and check for problems (recommended)“,
- The system will then automatically restart and the process of inspecting the RAM will begin,
On finishing up with checking the RAN, the diagnostic tool will show a report when your Windows 11 PC stats up. This report contains all the details that the tool performs on your system. If you didn’t find the result or accidentally click on the close button, visit Event viewer section to see the results. Here is how you can get the memory scan details:
- Press Win+ X to launch Power menu and select Event Viewer,
- Navigate to Windows Logs> system next to get the most recent Memory Diagnostic file,
- If no issue is in the report, rest assured the RAM is working. In case, the report shows some issue, consult technician or replace your RAM.
#4. Scan and remove malicious code
As you already know, Microsoft imposed restriction not to upgrade the new OS. Well, we always do certain things that are not supposed to do so. This may lead to find alternatives for any Windows 11 ISO file to get in, make it bootable and install it on our device.
There is a chance that hackers injected the ISO file with some malicious codes and when you clean install OS and connect it to the Microsoft servers, a contradiction arises and you received windows 11 blue screen error as a result.
If you opted the above way, you should a try to become an insider first and then only upgrade to Windows 11 Insider Preview. If you do not want to re-install, you would require performing full system scan using some security tool that can run to find and repair any issue on your computer. You can use PC Repair Tool for the purpose.
#5. Use System File Checker
Many a time, when you remove certain program, there leaves its residual or leftover files on your computer. With SFC scan, you can recognize such files and repair them. Here is how you can perform the scan:
- Press Windows + S to launch Search Window,
- Type CMD in it and right-click on the top result,
- Choose Run as Administrator,
- When the Command Prompt launches, type the following command and hit Enter,
- The SFC utility then scans for faulty files/ folders and to repair them if possible,
- When the process reaches 100%, you will get a list of things that SFC fixes,
- Reboot your device and see if this fixes windows 11 blue screen error or still can’t.
If not, then use another tool named DISM. Here is how to proceed with DISM scan on Windows 11:
- Right click on the Windows icon and select Windows Terminal (Admin),
- Copy/ paste the below command in the command line and hit Enter,
exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
- It will then check for malicious codes on Windows 11 Image that be the problematic and fix them if there is any.
#6. Run Disk Cleanup Tool
Sometimes, after Windows update, do certain basic operations, and then remove some application, temporary files keep piling up and ultimately causing system crashes. There is an option to set the device to cleanse itself automatically, but you should manually do this once a month. This way, you can avoid serious issues such as windows 11 blue screen error.
#7. Install optional driver update
Outdated device drivers might be interfering with the core system files and thus causing windows 11 blue screen error. Thus, one such solution is to download/ install optional driver updates on the device:
- Press Windows + I to go to the settings,
- Click on Windows update and select check for updates,
- If there is any optional update link over there, click over it,
- Subsequently, expand the Driver update and mark the checkboxes within it,
- Finally, hit the Download and Install option.
There is automatic driver updating tool always available that provides you an automatic update for all needy drivers. Here is the link for the download for one such tool.
#8. Reset update components
There might be a case that update components is becoming corrupted and this is triggering you the windows 11 blue screen error. Thus, it is better to stop/ restart all the essential services along with the renaming the Windows Cache folders.
#9. Rebuild Boot Configuration Data
Windows 11 blue screen error could be the case of Boot Configuration gets corrupted. In this case, you would require rebuild the BCD on your Windows 11:
- Attach the USB with the installation media to the computer port,
- Restart the device next,
- While BIOS is loading, clicking on the supported function key such as F2, F4, F9, Esc or Del to launch Boot menu,
- Go to the Choose option screen, and click Troubleshoot and thereafter Advanced options,
- Click on the Command Prompt from the different options available there and enter the below codes one after another:
- Upon finishing up with all these codes, reboot the device and see if the problem is gone.
#10. Search for the designated Windows 11 BSODs error code
When you receive BSODs, you would see there a few lines about the issue accompanying an error code. The solution for this error lies in the error message or the code it bears. Scan that code and you will get redirected to a website containing troubleshoot steps.
#11. Use System Restore
Restore points are very useful when your device starts running abruptly. If you didn’t have a restore point, here are the steps how you can create a “system restore”. Upgrading to Windows 11 PC or to become an insider are the only options left when you find all above options not useful.
This is all about how to fix windows 11 blue screen error. Hope so, you are in the position of getting the error fix. We’ve tried to put the steps very simple for you. Still, if you are finding any problem during any of the steps, feel free to share through the comment section below.