Windows store error 0x8000ffff issue normally occurs on Windows 10 PC systems when user tries to update some applications or features through the Windows store. Windows Store is one of the most used apps as it allows users to download applications including Windows 8/10 updates, music files and so on. Nevertheless, while if you are a Windows user, then you may have to experience various pernicious issues such as the download or install process freezes, programs cannot be downloaded, the store doesn’t open and many more.
There might be various causes behind this problem but at most of the occasions, it takes place due to the virus or malware. Moreover, damaged registry settings, faulty drivers, infectious applications, Windows store cache, incorrect date/time can be also responsible for the occurrence of such unkind issues. Many users have reported that while they were using earlier versions of the Windows, they had no any issue but as soon as they upgraded the Windows to the newer one, they began to face many unpleasant problems including error 0x8000ffff windows 10 update.
This annoying error code generally appears after the installation of Windows updates and totally locks the Windows Store. Sometimes, it also shows up when the user tries to install a downloaded application or software. It states that there is a communication problem with the server and to get rid of it, wait for few hours and then again attempt to access Windows Store, you will probably able to fix the problem. However, in case it has been long time since the issue occurred and you are still waiting to get rid of it, then you should try to fix it through alternate ways.
We have provided some effective solutions that will help you to fix 0x8000ffff windows 10 troubleshooting issue. You just need to apply one at a time and then see if the problem is resolved.
Solution 1- Reset Windows Store Cache
First of all, you should try to reset the Windows Store Cache and see if the issue is fixed. To do this, follow the below steps:
- Hold Windows Key and press S, now type wsreset.
- Right-click on the wsreset option and choose Run as Administrator.
- In the User Account Controlprompt, click Yes and wait as long as the PC is resetting the Store cache.
- If the Windows Store window appears, this means that the cache has been reset. Now, reopen the Windows Store and download mandatory files.
- In case this method didn’t help you fix the damaged Windows Store cache and get rid of error 0x8000ffff catastrophic failure problem, you can try these steps:
- Press Windows key + R and open run.
- Now, type in the following command in run dialogue.
- Tap on OK to execute the command.
- Locate the folder name Cache, right-click on it and select
- Name the Cache folder as Cache.old.
- In case you can’t locate the Cache folder, you need to create it. Right-click on an empty space and select New-> Folder.
- Name the folder Cache and close File Explorer.
- Press Windows key + I and open Updates & Security.
- From the left pane, select Troubleshoot and locate the Windows Store App.
- Click on the Windows Store App and perform a scan.
Solution 2- Re-register Windows Store app
If resetting the Windows store cache didn’t help you fixing windows store error 0x8000ffff issue, then you need to reinstall Windows Store app itself. You won’t be able to reinstall it via Programs and Features applet because it is an inbuilt Windows store apps. To do this, follow the steps given below:
- Click on Start button and type in
- Now, right-click on the search results and select Run as Administrator.
- Type in Get-Appxpackage –Allusers and hit the Enter button.
- Locate Windows Store entry and copy the package name using Ctrl + C.
- Type in Add-AppxPackage -register “C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\” –DisableDevelopmentMode command.
Note- Paste the Windows Store package name by pressing Ctrl + V instead of instead of PackageFullName. Additionally, you may need to change C: with the letter of your source driver.
- Now, reopen the PowerShell with administrative privileges as clarified above.
- Paste Add-AppxPackage -register “C:\\Program Files\\WindowsApps\\” –DisableDevelopmentMode command and then hit the Enter button If needed, replace the PackageFullName and C:
- At the end, restart the PC to execute all the modifications.
Solution 3- Run Apps troubleshooter
Many users have claimed that running apps troubleshooter helped them getting rid of windows store error 0x8000ffff issue. You should also try this and see if the problem is resolved. For this, go through the following steps:
- Tap upon the Start button, type in Troubleshoot and then press the Enter button.
- Click on click onWindows Store Apps by scrolling down.
- Click onRun the troubleshooter and wait until the scan is completed.
- If the problem is found, Windows should report.
Solution 4- Use Media Creation tool
Running Windows Installation media may help you to fix windows store error 0x8000ffff issue. You can download it from its official website. With this process, you won’t lose any personal files or data but, we suggest keeping only necessary files and remove all others.
- First of all, you need to download Media Creation Tool from the official Microsoft website.
- Choose Download Tool and run it as an Administrator.
- Follow the License terms and in the bottom of it, click Accept.
- Opt for Upgrade this PC now and click Next on the next page.
- You will execute Windows 10 download by going through these steps.
- After the completion of download, you will be asked to enter a product key that is not essential in case you are reinstalling/upgrading OS.
- When the device is all set to install, select Change in order to set either Keep personal files only, Keep personal files or apps or Nothing.
- At the end, opt for Install. After that, the download will begin and in the process, the PC may restart for several times.
Solution 5- Perform a system scan to fix windows store error 0x8000ffff issue
This notorious problem might occur due to the presence of malware or virus in the infected system. So, you need to scan the complete machine to remove all the hazardous infections from the device. You can do this both manually as well as automatically. The “Manual” process requires much attention and you need to be highly skilled in computer or technology. So, we strongly recommend using “Automatic” procedure and for this purpose, you can use Reimage anti-malware program.