Many users have reported about Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10 issue that simply affects their work while using laptop. Function (Fn) key is responsible for several processes like turning Wi-Fi on or off, turning the sound on or off, getting the screen to sleep, changing screen’s brightness and so on. This key always work along with the blend of other keys, normally F(1-12). Function Key Freezing issue normally occurs while upgrading the Operating System from earlier ones to the latest one which is Win 10 or installing the latest updates. According to reports, it mostly happens with Acer, ASUS, Lenovo and HP laptops.
What Are The Main Cause Behind Function Key Crash Problem?
Although, it is not quite sure what are the proper reason behind the occurrence of this annoying threat. However, there might be several ones such as corrupt registry entries, malicious application, malware or virus and so on. A hazardous parasite normally sneaks into the Windows PCs by stealth without user’s approval and then conducts a series of malevolent deeds in the background. It messes with vital system files which assure smooth computer processing and prevents many installed drivers as well as programs from working normally. It keeps executing perilous acts inside all the time and brings several hazardous issues including Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10.
How To Fix Function Key In Windows 10?
If you are among those users who are dealing with this annoying trouble and looking for a genuine solution, you are on the right place at the moment. We have provided some effective methods to get rid of the problem that you have to apply one at a time and then see if the issue still exists.
Solution 1- Uninstall Synaptics Pointing Device driver
The Synaptics Pointing Device driver often clashes Windows 10 OS which results in this kid of Function Key Crashing issue. And thus, to fix the problem, you should uninstall the driver by simply following the below steps:
- First of all, right-click on the ‘Windows’ key and opt for ‘Device Manager’.
- Now, you have to expand the ‘Mice and other pointing devices’ section and then tap on ‘Synaptics driver’.
- Tap on ‘Uninstall’ driver and then click on ‘OK’ on the approval Window.
- In case the driver is missing from the Device Manager, you can find it in Control Panel or look for it using Windows search.
- After eliminating the driver, restart the PC and check for the solution.
Solution 2- Enable VAIO Event Service
This method relates with VAIO laptops, however, can also be helpful for brands as well to fix Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10 issue.
- Hold ‘Win’ key and press ‘R’ at the same time.
- Type in ‘services.msc’ and hit the ‘Enter’ button.
- Find the ‘VAIO Event Service’ and double-click on it.
- Check the ‘Startup type’ section and make sure it’s set to automatic.
- Again, check the ‘Service Status’ option and make sure that the service is started. (Start it in case it is not).
- Tap on ‘OK’ and ‘Apply’ to save the modifications.
- See if the problem still occurs.
Solution 3- Update device drivers
As we have already mentioned Function key stops working after installing the latest updates or upgrading the OS to the newest one from the earlier ones. The prime cause behind this might be out-dated system drivers. And hence, you should check for the malfunctioning drivers in the Device Manager and for this, go through the simple steps given below:
- Right-click on the ‘Windows’ key and opt for ‘Device Manager’.
- Enlarge each category one-by-one to see if any device drivers are marked with a yellow exclamation mark.
- In case you find any of the out-dated drivers, right-click on them and opt for ‘Update Driver Software’.
Once done, reboot the system.
Solution 4- Run Windows hardware troubleshooter
Try to get rid of Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10 problem by running the hardware troubleshooter. And to do this, just go through the below steps:
- In the ‘Windows search bar’, type in ‘Settings’.
- Tap on ‘Update & Security’ option.
- In the left pane, choose ‘Troubleshoot’
- Click on ‘Hardware and Devices’ and then click on ‘Run the troubleshooter’ button.
- Once the process completes, check for the solution.
Solution 5- Disable the filter keys
- In the ‘Windows search section’, find ‘Control Panel’.
- Now, open ‘Ease of Access Center’.
- Locate the ‘Make the keyboard easier to use’ option by scrolling down and click on it.
- Again, scroll down and find ‘Filter Keys’ option. (Keep the ‘Turn on Filter Keys’ option uncheck)
- Tap on ‘Apply’ and ‘OK’ after turning off the option to save the modifications.
Solution 6- Uninstall hotkey drivers
Try to fix Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10 issue by uninstalling the hotkey drivers
- Right-click on the ‘Windows’ key and opt for ‘Device Manager’.
- Find the ‘Hotkey driver’ for your device and then right-click on it.
- Choose ‘Uninstall’.
- Find the HID Compliant Keyboard and HID Compliant Mouse drivers, right-click on them and select ‘Uninstall’.
- After that, restart the PC and see if the problem still occurs.
Solution 7- Use Reimage to remove malware
Like we stated before, the “Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10” issue might also occur due to the presence of malware or virus in the infected PC. So, you need to scan the complete machine to eliminate all the perilous infections from the device. You can do this both manually as well as automatically. The “Manual” process requires much attention and you need to be highly skilled in computer or technology. So, we strongly recommend using “Automatic” procedure and for this purpose, you can use Reimage anti-malware software.
Is Your PC Behaving Abnormal & Needs Instant Optimzation?
We recommend you to choose Reimage PC Repair Suite which is dedicated to offer complete options to optimize a PC, fix any Windows error, and remove malware threats in easy. The software is award winning and suggested as the best malware fix application supporting all Windows versions including XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Just 3 steps to avail error free PC.
- Download Reimage PC Repair and install on your PC. (Follow all on screen instructions when installer is executed)
- Click “Scan Your PC” button to scan all present issues, errors, junk files, and malware threats.
- Finally, click “Start Repair” to fix all detected problems in next few minutes.
Hopefully, one of these steps helped you in fixing “Function Keys Not Working on Windows 10” problem. If you really liked the article or you have any other solution to get rid of the problem, just let us know. Write us on the comment section if you have any question or query.