Desktop icons not showing in Windows 10 is a bothersome issue reported by many users in recent times. A number of users have claimed that when they were using earlier versions of the Windows, they had no such problems. However, the moment they upgraded their OS to the latest one, all of a sudden, they started to deal with many annoying issues including this particular one. Start menu was modified that was requested by the users to a great extent. Apart from that, there were also a number of changes in GUI as well as performance. This prime modification in GUI tangled too many users as it took more than usual time for them to recognize what was going on.
Causes Behind desktop icons missing in Windows 10 Issue:
The major cause for this problem on the system is altered settings, Desktop and Tablet mode settings. Moreover, corrupt Windows registry, malicious software, malware or virus etc. can be also responsible behind the occurrence of this annoying threat. A nasty malware often sneaks into the targeted PC by stealth through various illusive methods. It messes with vital system files which assure efficient computer processing and prevents many installed apps as well as drivers from working normally. It keeps executing perilous deeds in the background and brings many hazardous issues in the device including desktop icons not showing in Windows 10.
How To fix desktop icons missing in Windows 10 Problem?
If you are among those users who are dealing with same issue and looking for a genuine solution, you are at the right place at the moment. We have provided some effective methods to get rid of the threat that you have to apply one at a time and then see if the problem still occurs.
Solution 1- Check the visibility of desktop icons
It is possible that you might have accidently prompted an action to hide desktop icons. If this is the case, you can enable this option to get the icons back and for this, just follow the below steps:
- Right-click on an empty space on the desktop and go to the ‘View’ tab option.
- Place a tick on ‘Show desktop icons’ option if this is not marked.
- However, if this is already marked then that means, there can be another reason for the occurrence of the issue.
Solution 2- Disable Tablet Mode in the system
Incorrectly set Mode can be the reason behind desktop icons not showing in Windows 10 issue, therefore, you should try disabling the Tablet Mode and switch to Desktop mode. For this purpose, just go through the simple steps given below:
- First of all, go to the ‘Start’, then ‘Settings’ and then opt for ‘System’.
- Tap on ‘Tablet mode’ and turn it off. (In case it is not turned on).
Solution 3- Enabling the Desktop icons Visibility
You are still not able to get rid of the threat, try to fix the problem via settings by following the below steps:
- Again go to the ‘Start’ and then ‘Settings’.
- Now, select ‘Personalization\\Personalize’.
- On the left side, tap on ‘Themes’ and opt for ‘Desktop icon settings’.
- Select the icons that you want to be visible on the desktop.
- Tap on ‘Apply’ and then ‘OK’ to save to modifications.
Solution 4- Delete Icon cache to fix desktop icons not showing in Windows 10 issue
Many users have claimed that cleaning Icon cache helped them to get rid of the threat. You can also try it by following the below steps:
- First of all, go to the ‘File Explorer’ and click ‘Organize’.
- Select ‘Folder’ and then click on ‘View tab’.
- Find ‘Show hidden files, folders and drives’ option and tap on it.
- Go to the ‘C:\\Users\\(username)\\AppData\\Local’.
- Here, you can locate the file ‘IconCache.db’.
- Right-click on this file and opt for ‘Delete’.
- Empty the recycle bin and then restart the PC.
- Once done, check if the problem still occurs.
Solution 5- Restart File Explorer
Restarting the File Explorer may help you in getting rid of desktop icons not showing in Windows 10 problem. And to do this, just follow the below steps:
- Open ‘Task Manager’ by clicking on ‘Ctrl + Alt + Delete’ at the same time.
- Click on ‘Process’ tab, then tap on ‘File’ and opt for ‘New Task (Run)’.
- In the box, type in ‘explorer.exe’ and tap on ‘OK’.
- See if the issue still exists.
Solution 6- Scan your PC for malware
As we have already mentioned, the “desktop icons not showing in Windows 10” problem might also occur due to the presence of malware or virus in the infected system. So, you need to scan the complete machine to remove all the perilous infections from the device.
You can do this both manually as well as automatically. The “Manual” process requires much attention and you need to be highly skilled in computer or technology. So, we strongly recommend using “Automatic” procedure and for this purpose, you can use a quick tool to fix this type of issue.
Here, Automatic Method refers to the quick PC/System Repair Tool that could repair your PC with just few clicks within few minutes. This quick tool offers you to scan your device for unwanted programs, junk files, unnecessary installed software, app cache, internet cookies, problematic drivers and System bugs.
This Automatic System/PC repair tool shows the result after scan and offers you to delete all these unnecessary programs with just single-click.