Headphones not working Windows 10 issue has been reported by a number of users in recent times. It’s a bit irritating when you plug in your headphones in your laptop to hear songs or whatsoever but still, you can’t because of unknown reason. However, the sound still comes through the in-built speakers. When you are in school, library or any place which requires silence, headphones provide privacy and better listening during playing games, watching movies and so on. In such circumstance, first of all, you should attempt testing your headphones.
Causes Behind headphones not working on PC Issue:
There can be various reasons behind this problem. May be you have just bought the device from the store without even properly checking whether it is working in a correct way or not. Try to plug in your headphones into other computer or laptop and see if the problem still exists. If it is working on different devices, then the problem must be in your PC. Try plugging other headphones in your laptop and see if headphones not working on laptop issue still occurs. In case the other ones also don’t work, then try fixing the threat by following the below guidelines.
How To Get Rid Of headphones not working Windows 10 Issue?
We have provided some effective methods to get rid of the problem. You just need to apply one at a time and see if the issue still occurs.
Solution 1- Update audio drivers
Having problem in the audio driver prevents the headphones from working properly. And therefore, you must update it to get of the problem by following below steps:
- Hold ‘Win’ key and press ‘R’ button at the same time
- Type in ‘devmgmt.msc’ to open the ‘Device Manager’.
- Now, expand the ‘sound, video, and game controllers’ section.
- Right click on the ‘used audio device’ and then opt for ‘Update Driver Software’.
- Select ‘Search automatically for updated driver software’ once the new Window appears.
- As soon as the drivers get installed automatically, check if headphones not working Windows 10 issue still occurs.
Solution 2- Select your headphones as the default device
Making the headphones as the default device may also help you fixing the problem. To do this, follow the below steps:
- First of all, click on the ‘Start’ button and scroll down to the ‘Windows’ System folder.
- Here, you will see a ‘Control Panel’ shortcut, click on it.
- Opt for the ‘Hardwareand Sound option’
- Click on ‘Sound’.
- Now, select ‘Speakers/Headphones —> Set default’.
- Tap on ‘OK’ and see if the problem still exists.
Solution 3- Uninstall IDT audio to fix headphones not working Windows 10 issue
Try uninstalling the IDT audio to get rid of the problem and for this, follow the below steps:
- Again go to the ‘Control Panel’ first by following the steps we mentioned in Solution 2.
- Opt for the ‘Programs’ option.
- After that, click on ‘Programs and Features’.
- Click on ‘IDT Audio Driver’and select ‘Uninstall’.
- Restart the PC and check for the solution.
Solution 4- Change the settings in Realtek HD Audio Manager
If your Realtek HD Audio Manager is not configured properly to play sound through the headphones, the headphones not working Windows 10 may occur. And thus, change the settings by following the below steps:
- Go to the ‘Control Panel’.
- Modify the view to Small/Large icons.
- Navigate to ‘Realtek HD Audio Manager’ and tap on it.
- Locate the ‘folder icon’ on the upper right corner and tap on it.
- After that, opt for the ‘Disable front panel jack detection’ option.
- Press ‘OK’.
Use Reimage to Scan the device
After applying one of these steps, you would have probably fixed the problem. Additionally, for better system performance and to make the device work more efficiently and better than ever before, we recommend performing a system scan. You can do this both manually as well as automatically. The “Manual” process requires much attention and you need to be highly skilled in computer or technology. So, we strongly recommend using “Automatic” procedure and for this purpose, you can use Reimage anti-malware software.
Hopefully, one of these steps helped you in fixing “headphones not working Windows 10” issue. If you really liked the article or you have any other solution to get rid of the problem, just let us know. Write us on the comment section if you have any question or query.