Discord is a VoIP or Voice over Internet protocol app that provides game lovers a convenient communication facility. With this overlay, users to share screenshots, send messages and voice chat with their friends all the time while paying a full-screen game. If you found your discord overlay not working during a game play or with all the game, read this article for the solution.
About Discord Overlay
Discord overlay is used by the users to combine chat and voice with PCs. It shows a semi transparent windows on the screen when the play is on-going. The feature is added with the latest update with the Discord app after the huge users’ demands.
Better Discord added this feature to their app recently. It contains some minor bugs that lead the discord overlay not working issue for the users. The issue becomes worst for you when you only not enjoying it and your all friends/teammates are and when they start showing you how wonderful the feature is and you have no fix for it. Don’t worry! Read, the article carefully.
Why my Discover Overlay is not visible?
These could be the possible factors for your Discord overlay not working while you are playing games on your PC:
- The in-game overlay option is enabled – you should configure the settings to see if all games are listed on the Discord game list. You will also have the option to turn the overlay option for them.
- If the hardware accelerator is not disabled- The hardware acceleration affects the Discord overlay feature as it overloads the tasks to the devices and hardware that specializes in them
- If the screen displayed is scaled – Scaled displayed feature may allow you see things on the screen bigger and enjoy visibility, but can hide the Discord overlay feature,
- The problem with the position of the overlay- if the Discord overlay is moved to the edge of the screen.
- AV tools interference – The security program may flag this Discord feature as suspicious.
The very first thing you should do is to make ensure if the game supports this new facility introduced to Discord app. The app does not support for some games for such that are fairly dated or that use Vulkan. But the game supports almost all popular games that includes World of Warcraft, Fortnite, League of Legends, Minecraft, Dota 2, CS:GO, and WoW.
Methods to solve Discord overlay not working issue
Once you sure that your game supports the Discord overlay feature and still you are facing the discord overlay not working issue, you should try these methods:
Enable the in-game overlay option
- Open the VoIP application via the desktop shortcut or use Start menu option,
- Go to the user settings and click overlay available in the left prane,
- Then, enable the option that says “Enable in-game overlay”
- Now, click on the Game Activity under App settings,
- Locate the game you are playing and make sure that overlay feature is turned on
- If the overlay is not enabled, click the monitor button to turn it on
Confirm the Admin right to the app
You might have the discord overlay not working issue because the Discord has not received the admin rights:
- Open the Discord app,
- Go to the context menu to open and run it as administrator,
- Confirm with yes when see User Account prompt
- Then, launch the game.
Check for conflicting applications
Close all other apps running on your PC, they might be causing discord overlay not working trouble if they have access to your microphone. For this, click Ctrl+ Alt + Delete on the keyboard and select Task Manager, and select each of the apps on the list on the processes tab and then click the Task button.
Adjust the display scale
You might not locate the overlay because the display scaled to 100%. In this case, reduce this percentage size to resolve the issue:
- Press Windows + I on the keyboard to open Settings app,
- Click on settings > Display,
- Expand the drop down menu appear at the right under the scale and layout category,
- Select 100%,
- Run the game again. You will now able to see the overlay
Check for Overlay Hotkey enabled
Perhaps, no any hotkey is assigned to enable hotkey. In this situation, if any conflict occurs with some other hotkey in the game or the Discord app, this might result into discord overlay not working. If this is the case, you should activate a new hotkey by the following steps:
- Open the Discord,
- Go to the User settings,
- Click on the Overlay under App settings,
- You see will the current hotkey in the Enable in-game overlay section,
- Then, you will find an option to assign new hotkey.
Change the position of Display overlay
You might mistakenly drag the overlay off the screen due to which you are now not able to locate it. In this case, reset the overlay position by the steps below:
- Close the Game and then open the Discord app,
- Check the drop down list for the Application form, click on it,
- Then, click on Local Storage and select ‘https:\\discordapp.com’ entry under it,
- In the right pane, under the key column, you will find Overlaystore or Overlaystore v2, right-click on it,
- Now, Select Delete from the context menu and restart the Discord app.
Disable Hardware Acceleration
Perhaps the hardware acceleration is enabled as a consequence your GPU run the Discord app efficiently and you see the discord overlay not working. Follow the steps below to disable this feature:
- Open the app and go to the user settings,
- Click on appearance,
- Scroll down to the Hardware Acceleration,
- Click the toggle to turn it off,
- Confirm the changes by clicking Ok button to the confirmation prompt,
- Then, restart the app and see if the issue resolved.
Use a VPN
If you are using a proxy, you are prone to hackers and this can prevent the Discord overlay from working. You are advised to use a VPN instead:
- Press the Windows + R,
- Type Control Panel to the open dialog box and hit Enter,
- Select the View by category and click on Internet and Internet,
- Then, click on Internet option and go to the connection tab,
- In the LAN settings, unmark the checkbox that says “Use a proxy server for your LAN”,
- Click Ok to make the changes take place
Update or reinstall Discord app
If you still have the Discord overlay not working issue and none of the aforementioned methods help you in solving this issue, you need to make sure that the app is updated. As said earlier in the introduction, the Discord Overlay is a newly added feature to the Discord app, and if you are not using the latest version, you will not enjoy this feature. Another possibility is that, some files might get corrupt or missing while the app was being installed or afterward. In this case, you require reinstall the app after its uninstalling it:
- Go the Start Menu, type Run and Enter,
- On the Dialog box appear, type control panel and click Ok,
- Under the View by option, click on the uninstall a program,
- From the installed apps list, locate Discord and right-click on it,
- Click uninstall,
- Then, press Windows + E to open File Explorer,
- Open the program file folder under local C Disk,
- Delete the Discord directory.
- Then, restart the device to complete the un-installation process of the app.
Now, download the Discord app from the official website and install it on your PC and reboot the device. Afterward, open the app and add the game, ensuring that the in-game overlay option is enabled (check step 1). Then, launch the game and see if the problem “Discord overlay not working” fix. Use the hotkey to bring the overlay. By default, you will the Discord overlay option at the top-left corner of the game window.
Antivirus or Windows Firewall is blocking this feature
If it is the case the antivirus program or Windows firewall flagged this Discord overlay feature as suspicious, open your Antivirus tool and unblock the listed Discord -related entry in the list of blocked applications or services and add it to a trustworthy program. The Developers of Discord affirm that this program poses no threat to your operating system.
If you want you can disable the antivirus program or the Windows Firewall temporarily during the game-play:
- Go to the Start menu,
- Type Firewall and enter it to open Windows Firewall,
- Click on “Turn Windows Firewall on or off” option,
- Select “Turn off Windows Firewall (Not recommended)”,
- Click OK to save the changes.
This is all for the Discord overlay not working issue. Hope that the solutions presented in this article will work for you. You can leave a comment in the below section to let us know if the above fixes work in your case.