High CPU usage antimalware service executable is an annoying issue that has been reported by many users in recent times. Antimalware service executable is an essential component of Windows Defender that can be found in the task manager of the Windows 10 devices as MsMpEng.exe. It’s an inbuilt antivirus tool which is free but not regarded as one of the best security measures. There are several anti-virus applications out there that are more efficient and capable to protect the compromised system from virus or other Online infections.
Moreover, the Windows Defender can consume enormous amount of CPU resources which results in poor system performance and too much memory usage. Sometimes, it eats up 100% of CPU that causes the device to take more than usual time to complete any task like opening any file or application, starting-up or shutting down the Window and so on. Additionally, it also executes a complete scan of the system when it is connected with a network because of which, your PC will experience frequent droopy, lagging, and late response from your interactions with it.
Aantimalware service executable high memory usage issue totally ruins users’ working experience as this process keeps running in the task manager and consuming high memory resources. There can be various causes for this process such as out-dated Windows Defender registry files, low hardware resources, Windows Defender scans its own directory, presence of malware or virus in the computer. A malware can sneak into your PC without your approval along with a third-party application and contributes numerous malicious activities inside. It ruins important system files which assure smooth computer processing and prevents many installed apps as well as drivers from working normally.
To get rid of “high CPU usage antimalware service executable” issue, you can uninstall the Windows Defender but, it is capable of reactivating itself and get automatically started. And therefore, we have provided some genuine methods to fix the problem. You just need to apply one at a time and then see if the issue is resolved.
Solution 1- Prevent Windows Defender from scanning its directory
As we mentioned earlier, this application scans its own directory so, you need to prevent it to get rid of “antimalware service executable high disk usage win 10” issue. And for this, follow the below steps:
- Start with pressing ‘Windows’ key and typing ‘Windows Defender settings’.
- Now, double click on the option and open its ‘Settings’.
- Choose ‘Open Windows Defender Security Center’.
- Now, visit ‘Virus & Threat protection´ and then ‘Virus & Threat protection settings’.
- Locate ‘Exclusions’ by scrolling down and then click on ‘Add or remove exclusions
- Opt for ‘Add an exclusion’ and tap on ‘Exclude a folder’.
- Now you have to copy and paste the ‘c:\\program files\\windows defender’ path.
- Once done, check if the problem is resolved.
Solution 2- Reschedule Windows Defender
Executing full scan by Windows Defender can be the biggest culprit behind “high CPU usage antimalware service executable” issue. When this process is going on, the CPU usage is at its high which results in poor system performance. And hence, you need to be sure that the scans are scheduled properly.
- Hold ‘Windows’ key and press ‘R’ at the same time.
- Type in ‘msc’ and press ‘OK’.
- Now go to the ‘Task Scheduler Library> Microsoft > Windows > Windows Defender’ directory.
- Here, find the ‘Windows Defender Scheduled Scan’. Once you get it, right-click on it.
- Opt for ‘Properties’ and open ‘Conditions’ tab.
- Uncheck all the given conditions and tap on ‘OK’ to save the modifications.
- Now, go to ‘Properties’ and select ‘Triggers’ tab to reschedule the Windows Defender.
- Tap on ‘New’.
- Opt for the ‘Monthly’ or ‘Weekly’.
- Pick the preferred ‘Day’ and enable it.
- At the end, click ‘OK’ and close all the Windows.
Solution 3- Limit the MsMpEng.exe CPU usage manually
Though, the MsMpEng.exe is a legitimate process because it limits the abilities of the application. But, you can manually limit its usage to get rid of “high CPU usage antimalware service executable” issue. And for this, go through the below steps:
- Open ‘Task Manager’ by pressing ‘Ctrl+ Shift + ESC’ at the same time.
- Here, tap on ‘More details’ and open ‘Details’ tab.
- Locate and right-click the ‘exe’ file and opt for ‘Set affinity’.
- Now, opt for the ‘CPU limit threshold’ and close Task Manager.
- Once done, check whether the problem is resolved or not.
Solution 4- Scan your system for malware
The “high CPU usage antimalware service executable” might occur due to the presence of malware or virus in your computer. So, you need to scan the complete device to remove all the hazardous infections from the machine. You can do this both manually as well as automatically. The “Manual” process requires much attention and you need to be highly skilled in computer or technology. So, we strongly recommend using “Automatic” procedure and for this purpose, you can use Advanced System Repair software.
Is Your PC Behaving Abnormal & Needs Instant Optimization?
We recommend you to choose Advanced System Repair Suite which is dedicated to offer complete options to optimize a PC, fix any Windows error, and remove malware threats in easy. The software is award winning and suggested as the best malware fix application supporting all Windows versions including XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Just 3 steps to avail error free PC.
- Download Advanced System Repair Tool and install on your PC. (Follow all on screen instructions when installer is executed)
- Click “Scan Your PC” button to scan all present issues, errors, junk files, and malware threats.
- Finally, click “Start Repair” to fix all detected problems in next few minutes.
Hopefully you have successfully fixed the “high CPU usage antimalware service executable” issue with the help of our content. If you have any query regarding this article or any other method to get rid of the threat, you can write us in the comment so that others could also take advantage of it.