Users are prompted with an error Roblox error code 279. This refers connection issue. Numerous factors including your Windows Firewall, a problem with the game you are connecting and more could be the reasons behind it. We will discuss the causes of the error message in detail down below and later discuss possible solutions to get the fix. Let’s begin.
Get Roblox error code 279? Read below for the solutions
Roblox is an online game platform and a game creation system from Roblox Corporation developed in 2010. Its key feature is to allow different users to design their own games and play games creates by others via multiplayer. It hosts multi-genre games that its users coded in the Lua programming language. The platform grew popularity in the second half of 2010 and this began to grow rapidly during the year 2010. As of August 2020, Roblox had over 160 million monthly active users.
Some of the more notable games include Adopt Me!, an MMO RPG averaging 600,000 concurrent players, and Jailbreak, a cops and robbers game played a total of 4 billion times as of August 2020. Other games include MeepCity, Murder Mystery 2, Natural Disaster Survival, Piggy, Welcome to Bloxburg, and Work at a Pizza Place. These games are free to play with in-game purchases, available via a virtual currency called Robux.
The explosion of its popularity not only attracted gamers and game creators but also exposed an issue that users encounter during the play. Many users reported about Roblox error code 279 that prevents them from connection to a server. When the server connection fails, the game presents a window that says, “Failed to connect to the Game. (ID=17: Connection attempt failed.) (Error Code: 279.) So, what are the possible reasons?
What causes error code 279 Roblox?
Roblox players have discovered four possible reasons for it. Let’s go and see these reasons in somewhat detail:
- Slow or unstable internet connection – when the internet connection is slow, it will be difficult to connect to a server with large objects. It will take longer time, resulting in a connection timeout issue that could manifest as the error code 279. The solution is that you ought to reset the internet connection – unplug your internet router and turn off all devices connected to it.
- Windows Defender Firewall might block Roblox connection – if you have not allowed the required connection for Roblox through the Windows Firewall, it might block the program and you get the said error.
- Scripting objects in game may be too much to handle– if you see the issue is restricted to some servers only, contact to the creators so that they work on the fix.
- You might use Roblox on unsupported web browser – There are many reports where Roblox Players solved this issue by launching Roblox on Google Chrome. It would also help when you use Microsoft Edge or Mozilla Firefox instead.
- Specific browser extensions, particularly ad-blockers may be causing Error Code 279 – Roblox launcher features ads. Thus, when you use ad-blocker to prevent them, the platform might deny the ability the ability to connect to sever.
- Your device might not open the required ports for Roblox– To fix the issue, log-in as administrator to your router and add Roblox PC ports UDP: 49152–65535.
We have compiled all possible solutions for the fixes of Roblox error code 279 just below. However, before using it, we recommend you once check your system for any system based errors if they are causing it. You get an automatic fix for any system related issues using an automatic PC Repair Tool. Here is its direct download link.
Different methods to fix Roblox error code 279
Method 1: Turn off Windows Defender Firewall temporarily
- Open Start menu and type Window Defender Firewall and click on the matched result,
- Click on Turn Windows Defender Firewall on or off,
- Now, tick the Turn off Windows Defender Firewall checkbox for both Public and Private networks,
- Confirm with OK.
Method 2: Disable web browser extensions
As said, Roblox launcher features ads and so if you are using ad-blocker, it might prevent the platform from launching. So, disable the browser extension temporarily to get the fix.
Disable extensions on Google Chrome
- Open the browser and click on ellipsis,
- Select more tool and then click on Extensions,
- Identify the extension you think is causing the error code 279,
- Then, toggle the Turn on or off slider to disable it.
Disable extensions on Mozilla Firefox
- Open the browser and click on Menu button,
- Select Add-ons and then extension,
- Identify the problematic extension,
- Click on the blue toggle for the extension you wish to disable.
Disable extensions on Microsoft Edge
- Open the browser and tap on setting and more on the top of the corner,
- Select Extensions,
- Click the toggle next to the extension.
Method 3: Reset TCP/ IP
- Press and hold Windows + R to open Run dialog box,
- Type CMD in it and simultaneously hold down Shift+Ctrl+Enter keys to open elevated command prompt,
- Now, type the following in the command line and hit enter
netsh winsock reset
- Then, type in netsh int ip reset and hit enter,
- Close the Command prompt after this and restart your PC.
Method 4: Set Custom DNS
If you still encounter Roblox error code 279, follow this:
- Right-click on the start menu and select settings,
- Go to the Network and Internet option,
- Select Network and Sharing Center,
- Now, click on Change adapter options,
- Right-click on your network adapter and select properties,
- Click on Internet Protocol Version 4 (TCP/IPv4) and then on Properties,
- Tick the Use the following DNS server address option in the properties page and enter the following address to the preferred DNS address options:
In the Preferred DNS server type in 184.108.40.206
In the Alternate DNS server type in 220.127.116.11
- After that, click on OK button and Restart the device.
Method 5: Reinstall Roblox
Reinstalling the app is the last solution. Uninstall both Roblox proper and the Roblox launcher and then reinstall the platform by downloading it from the Microsoft Store:
- Right-click on the Start menu and click on Apps and Features,
- Scroll down to find Roblox in the application list,
- Select the app and click on Uninstall and confirm with clicking on Uninstall again,
Note: You might require uninstalling Roblox Player and Roblox Studio of you have installed on your PC.
After the successful un-installation, go to the official Microsoft Store to download the app again:
- Click on Start menu and type Microsoft store
- Type Roblox on the Microsoft Store search box and click on the result,
- Click on the Install button and wait for the game to download and install,
- After that, you have to log-in to the platform. Enter your log-in credentials and click log-in.
This is all on how to fix Roblox error code 279. We hope that the above mentioned solutions help you in getting the fix for this error. If you still find the issue after performing all provided steps or encounter any problem in performing any step of any method, feel free to contact us through the comment section below.