Overview about Boot Camp Support Software
If you are a Mac system user, then you might find it hard to deal with Windows OS if you want to avail. Installing a Windows operating system on your machine can be a hassle, but still it can be accomplished, thanks to Boot Camp support software. With the help of this utility application, you can install a 64-bit Windows on your machine, as this utility will help you to partition your Mac hard drive to run both operating system at once. All you need a Windows installation disk or an ISO stored on a USB flash drive and the utility aforementioned.
System requirements to install Windows using Boot Camp support software
- Your system should have at least 80GB free hard disk space
- you should have keyboard or mouse compatible with both Mac and Windows
- A USB drive with 16Gb space
- Ensure that your system is plugged into power source
Steps to Install Windows With Boot Camp assistant
Step 1: Check your current Mac OS for recent updates
In order to run Windows operating system with aforementioned utility, you need to make sure if your Mac Os is updated to lessen problems during installation. To do so, follow the guidelines below:
- In the menu bar, click to open App Store
- Click Updates at the top of the window
- If the system system found updates, click to Update All. Enter your administrator password and user name if asked.
Step 2: Check your Mac OS version
In order to confirm your Mac OS version, click on About from Apple menu and it will display details of current version installed on your machine. Do make sure your system has installed at least Mac OS version 10.13. If you are running a lower version other than 10.13, follow this article to use Boot Cam support software to install Windows.
Step 3: Disable or turn off FileVault
In order to partition your Mac hard drive into a section for Windows, you must have to disable FileVault for which here mentioned guidelines should be followed:
- In the menu bar, click on System Preferences
- Select Security & Privacy
- Click on FileVault, and its control panel will open. It will be locked by default
- Unlock the control panel by clicking the lock icon and entering your administrator details.
- Click on Turn Off FileVault and confirm the same by clicking Turn Off Encryption. It will take some time depending upon the drive size along with installed hardware capabilities.
Step 4: Download Windows latest version
In order to get a Windows OS latest version on your Mac, get through the instructions below:
- Navigate to Iuware by clicking the link here.
- Click on Windows 10 Education and choose the 64-bit version.
- Click on Log in and enter your username and password set for Iuware.
- Note down the product key on a paper or your device as it will require further while installing Windows.
- Now, navigate to Microsoft’s official website to download Windows 10.
- Select the appropriate language which you desire to download and click confirm to get the file on your machine.
Step 5: Use Boot Camp Support Software to partition Mac drive for Windows
- Click on magnifying glass icon (Spotlight), and type boot camp assistant in the search bar and press Enter.
- In the next screen, you will see description about what the software can do, and warns you to create backup of your drive. Do make sure you create the backup to avoid accidental data loss. If you are ready with the backup, click to Continue with the application.
- In order to start with installation task, make sure to create a Windows 10 install disk. Do make sure as well that your system is connected with a USB drive with all its data deleted.
- Now, you would have to select the Windows ISO you downloaded and the USB drive you have connected, click Continue.
- Click on continue on next screen to confirm drive will be overwritten.
- With the help of slider option, to select a size you want to keep for Windows partition. As per the recommendation, you should keep at least 80 to 90 GB.
- Click on Install to begin with the installation process. Once the partition is created, your machine will restart and begin installing Windows 10 operating system. You may be asked to fee your administrator password several times.
- Follow further on-screen instructions to install Windows 10 as you do generally and configure it for your personal use.
Step 6: Configure the default operating system while system boot up
Once you successfully manage to install Windows beside your Mac OS, you can select either of the OS according to your need to boot by default. To do so, here are the instructions:
- Shut down your system, and start your machine once again by press and hold Option key and Power button simultaneously.
- Hold the option key until you see both hard disk icons and a Wi-Fi network selector. Select Mac by clicking Macintosh HD.
- In the Apple menu, click on System Preferences, and then Startup Disk.
- You will see a lock icon there, click on it and enter your administrator password to proceed with.
- In the next screen, select the default hard drive with operating system to assign which one you want to boot on your device as default operating system.
- Click Restart.
How to switch OS after installing Windows with Boot Camp support software?
Often times, you may require to switch between Windows and Mac OS, and this is very easy as well with the guidelines here:
- Shutdown your computer, and start it once again by pressing and holding Option key and Power button, and release the power button, but keep pressing the Option key.
- Release the Option key if you see the two hard disks.
- Choose the hard disk to start with any of your desired operating system now.
With the help of Boot Camp support software, you can easily install and configure Windows 10 to run it along side your Mac OS on your system easily. If you liked this article, do share it with your friends to allow them using Windows OS on their Mac system as well.