Here, we are discussing about “Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712” in details and providing some recommended methods/procedures to fix this issue. Let’s starts the discussion.
If you are facing “Error Code 0x80073712” on your Windows 10 PC while try to upgrade Windows to its latest version, then you can follow our instructions to fix it.
What is Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712?
“0x80073712” is common error that is categorized as Windows update error. This error is usually occurs on computer when you are trying to update your PCs via Windows Update. This Windows update error states that something went wrong with your computer and due to this, Windows update won’t be able to install the updates.
Many Windows users report about “Error Code 0x80073712 in Windows 10” on Microsoft Official online forum site and other popular platforms, and asked for the solution. Users explained that 0x80073712 Error code occurs usually during Windows 10 upgrade or new Windows 10 install. They also reported that this error occurs due to missing or corrupted Windows update.
Reasons behind Error Code 0x80073712
- Missing, corrupted Windows update components: This error might occur due to problematic Windows update components.
- Corrupted System files: It might possible to get this error due to corrupted or missing important System files
- Malfunctioning: It might possible to get Windows update error or other System bugs due to malware or viruses attack
- Incomplete installation/uninstallation of software: Some users also explained or reported that Error Code 0x80073712 can appear due to incomplete installation/uninstallation of software.
- Problematic software: In case if you have faculty software in your computer, then it might possible get this type of error. So, you can remove faculty software from computer and after that, please check if the problem is resolved.
- Faculty hardware: If recently added hardware or peripherals is not installed properly and its driver missing or corrupted, then you need to remove recently added hardware from System and please check if the problem is still persists, then you can follow our instructions below to fix it.
[Tips & Tricks] How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712 ?
Procedure 1: Run SFC, DISM and CHKDSK scan using “Command Prompt”
To run SFC scan, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Press “Windows + X” key together from keyboard and select “Command Prompt as Administrator”
Step 2: Type “sfc/scannow” command and hit “Enter” key
Step 3: Wait for the completion. Once done, reboot your PC and check if the problem is resolved
To run DISM scan, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Open “Command Prompt as Administrator”
Step 2: Type the following command One-By-One and hit “Enter” key after each command
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Scanhealth
DISM.exe /Online /Cleanup-image /Restorehealth
Step 3: Wait to complete the process. Once done, restart your System and please check if the trouble is resolved.
To run CHKDSK scan, follow the steps below:
Step 1: Open “Command Prompt as Administrator”
Step 2: Type “chkdsk /f /r” command in Command Prompt and hit “Enter” key
Step 3: Wait to complete the scanning process. Once done, reboot your computer and please check if “0x80073712 Error Code in Windows 10” is resolved.
Procedure 2: Reset Windows update Components using “Command Prompt”
Step 1: Press “Windows + X” key from keyboard and select “Command Prompt as Administrator”
Step 2: Type the following command One-By-One and Press “Enter” key after each
“net stop wuauserv”
“net stop cryptSvc”
“net stop bits”
“net stop msiserver”
“ren C:WindowsSoftwareDistribution SoftwareDistribution.old”
“ren C:WindowsSystem32catroot2 catroot2.old”
“net start wuauserv”
“net start cryptSvc”
“net start bits”
“net start msiserver”
Step 3: Once done, reboot your computer and try to re-run Windows update.
Procedure 3: Run Windows update troubleshooter
Step 1: Press “Windows + I” keys together from keyboard to open “Settings” App
Step 2: In the opened “Settings” App, go to “Update & Security > Troubleshoot”
Step 3: Now, click on “Run the troubleshooter” under “Windows Update” section
Step 4: Follow On-Screen instructions to finish the troubleshooting process. This process will automatically detect and fix the issues with Windows update.
Step 5: Once done, try running Windows update and installing your updates again.
Procedure 4: Reset This PC
Step 1: Turn OFF your computer
Step 2: Press “SHIFT” key on Keyboard and hit “Power” button to turn ON PC
Step 3: Now, click on “Troubleshoot > Reset This PC > Keep my files”
Step 4: Follow On-Screen instructions to finish resetting process. It could take as little as 10 minutes as long as a few hours or more.
Step 5: Once done, restart your computer and please check if Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712 is resolved.
Procedure 5: Perform Full System Scan using “Windows Defender”
Step 1: Press “Windows + I” keys together to open “Settings” App
Step 2: Go to “Update & Security > Windows Security > Virus & Threat Protection > Scan Options”
Step 3: Select “Full Scan” and Click on “Scan Now”
Step 4: This process will check all files and running programs on your hard disk. This scan could take longer than one hour. Once done, restart your computer and please check if the problem is resolved.
You may also read: How to Fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80070424?
I am sure this article helped you to “fix Error Code 0x80073712 in Windows 10”, “fix Windows Update Error Code 0x80073712” with several easy methods. You can follow one or all procedures mentioned above to fix this issue as per your System requirements and technical knowledge.
You can also try another possible solution to fix Error Code 0x80073712 i.e., Repair PCs with Powerful PC Repair Tool/Software that has the ability to delete all types of malware or spyware, remove faculty software, clean System registry, fix all types of bugs and improves System performance.
Is Your PC Behaving Abnormal & Needs Instant Optimzation?
We recommend you to choose Advanced System Repair Suite which is dedicated to offer complete options to optimize a PC, fix any Windows error, and remove malware threats in easy. The software is award winning and suggested as the best malware fix application supporting all Windows versions including XP/Vista/7/8/8.1/10. Just 3 steps to avail error free PC.
- Download Advanced System Repair and install on your PC. (Follow all on screen instructions when installer is executed)
- Click “Scan Your PC” button to scan all present issues, errors, junk files, and malware threats.
- Finally, click “Start Repair” to fix all detected problems in next few minutes.